There comes a time when I REALLY get creative and want to do as many fun things as I can with my kids. Then there comes a time I wish I could have a nap, lay around being lazy and watching movies with my kids all day. Leading up to Halloween it’s usually when I feel productive and want to get things done, even if I’m tired and want to be lazy!
I find baking to be tiring, and most days a big chore — NOT at Halloween though, making themed desserts or treats is just too much fun to complain about!
Do you like brownies? Who doesn’t, right? Well here is a fun treat to take boring ol’ brownies (okay, so brownies are NOT boring! they are delicious and I love them!) and take it to the next level!
Frankenstein Brownies Recipe
Make a boxed brownie mix according to directions. Let cool completely. (or if you’d like a homemade brownie this is a great one to try!)
- Large Marshmallows
- Black Icing (Tube)
- Tub of Prepared White Icing
- Gel Green Food Colouring
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Cut brownies into squares. The squares need to be big enough to place a large marshmallow on top. I used a marshmallow as a guide.
- Plate or place on pieces of waxed paper the square brownie pieces and place a marshmallow on top.
- Heat tub of prepared white icing for 30 seconds in the microwave – stirring every 10 seconds. The icing will become very runny.
- Put a small drop of gel green food colouring in the tub of heated icing and stir until all icing is green. I prefer gel food colouring over liquid as you need to use a lot less.
- Once mixed, pour the green icing over the marshmallow and brownie. Make sure the entire marshmallow is covered as seen in the pictures.
- When still warm, put one chocolate chips on either side of the marshmallow to make the bolts of your Frankenstein. The icing will ‘glue’ it once fully cooled.
- With the black icing create the hair, two eyes and mouth of your Frankenstein.
- Enjoy your spooky treat.
Tip: You might need to use a knife to peel the treats off of the wax paper once cooled.
Super cute – this would be perfect to send in with the kids for their classes if they are having a Halloween party! They are so easy to make too so it’s not a ton of work to send these treats on in!
What is your favourite part of Halloween?