Having a big family means we do meals a little differently than most, we do them in a big way. So, if I’m making a meal for 8 and soon to be 9 (once Hanna gets on solids) we need to shop where our money will go the furthest. We’ve always found that store to be FRESHCO.
Not only do the prices help with our budget at FRESHCO but the store is very friendly, the staff is always so helpful especially when I’m always in there looking for something specific. I sit down at the end of the month and prepare our budget for the month ahead. I ALWAYS have a strict budget for food. My kids eat so much food, SO.MUCH.FOOD you’d never know it by looking at them but that’s a whole other story. So I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.
FRESHCO is one of the few stores I shop that I can be sure my produce won’t go bad within a day or two of buying, so that is very important to me. I need product that will last. We buy lots of fruit, veggies and often don’t get to them right away. So, I need them to be good when we do reach for them. I recently got a food saver system that will be helpful with that but for the moment I know I can go shopping on a Monday for produce, and it still be fresh and ready to eat on Wednesday.
The bakery and meat offered is both value and quality-wise, the best bang for our buck, so we buy in bulk and freeze to have ready for easy and quick meals! (we have lots of shelving and storage in our kitchen and we recently just bought a new deep freezer as our old one was too small so there is lots of room!)
For our dinners I like to make sure we aren’t eating the exact same things every single night, but that can be so hard when food prices aren’t what they used to be. That’s where my cooking skills get challenged.
I love being able to get creative and make things from scratch. You’d be surprised at how much my kids love regular meals like Mac and Cheese when it’s made from scratch. I can’t get them to eat the boxed stuff for the life of me, even on a busy night when I need a quick idea. So, I was thrilled when my pal Nancy over at SpiffyKerms posted a recipe for Mac and Cheese many years ago because my kids go nuts for it now! I kind of wing it now with measurements and such, but it’s based off Nancy’s recipe.
I can get all the ingredients at FRESHCO for under $10 and have a huge pan of
this homemade Mac and cheese ready in 30 minutes!
Quick and Easy Mac and Cheese for the WHOLE Family
- 1 pckg elbow noodles – cooked
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 brick of cheese, marble cheddar or your choice
- Prepare Elbow noodles according to package. For our family we use the whole bag.
- Shred brick of cheese, we use marble cheddar
- Sprinkle some cheese on the bottom of the a 12×12 dish
- Once noodles are cooked, strain and layer over top of the sprinkled cheese
- Repeat with sprinkling more cheese, then remainder of noodles, top with cheese
- Pour 1/3 cup of milk over the dish and cover
- Place in oven at 350 for 5 minutes, uncover and cook another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted on top
- Serve and Enjoy.
You can even make a batch of garlic with (or without) cheese bread on the side and still come in under $10! This is one of my oldest’s (Jordan) favourite meals and he requests it all the time. He refuses to touch any other kind of Mac and Cheese now, and I don’t blame him. So cheesy and good! Quick, Easy and Budget friendly!
Aren’t familiar with FRESHCO?
FRESHCO is a grocery store that offers prices as low or lower than anyone in the market while offering fresh products that exceed customer expectations in a discount environment. Discount Done Right is a way to describe the brand, but there are a lot of misconceptions about what discount grocery shopping really means…
Most importantly- smart grocery shopping doesn’t mean cutting corners on creativity! I am able to stick within budget and often times come out while still being able to come up with interesting and innovative meals to prepare for my family (while the savings left leave me to be able to do other things with our family).
Like, get creative and fun in the kitchen with the kids! Head to FRESHCO to pick up the ingredients to make a night of Mac and Cheese, and this delicious easy Fresh Fruit Dessert – another great recipe you can do in under $10! As I said the produce is always my favourite at FRESHCO so this dessert is something we have often, and all love!
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cut the coconut in half.
- In a small bowl combine the greek yogurt and sugar.
- Wash raspberries. Remove stems from strawberries and wash thoroughly. Cut the raspberries and strawberries in small pieces and add into the bowl where is the yogurt with sugar.
- Mix very well together with a teaspoon.
- Add the mixture into coconut.
- Add raspberry, strawberry and kiwi as much as you want.
Put both of these together and you can feed a family of 9 for under $20! I don’t know about you but spending less time in the kitchen and at the store, and more time with my family is up there with saving money when I can.
You also don’t have to serve in the coconut, it’s just something kids really enjoy!
You can also change it up which is really easy to do with FRESHCO‘s great flyer deals. I check weekly for new things going on sale and there are always some really great deals at low prices. FRESHCO also has a really great price-match guarantee that my husband LOVES to utilize and it comes in really handy as well.
FRESHCO is true to their tag line of: Fresher.Cheaper… They pride themselves in offering a great fresh food experience in a discount shopping experience. I find their prices are as low or lower than competitors. Which is something all moms consider an important part of the budget!
Do you shop at FRESHCO? What deals do you love there?
Disclosure: This post has been generously sponsored by the makers of FRESHCO but the opinions expressed are my own.
Latest posts by Jeanine (see all)
- Breaking the Cat Code With Arm & Hammer™ and The Cat Whisperer Mieshelle Nagelschneider #ArmAndHammerCat #LitterBoxLife - March 25, 2017
- Disney Beauty and The Beast Toys Now Available at Toys“R”Us Stores Across Canada + Get Your 15% Off Discount Code Here! - March 24, 2017
- Little Snugglers Nano Preemie Diaper Launching in Canadian NICUs TODAY! #NoBabyUnhugged - March 23, 2017