So, you’re going to be a mommy? Congratulations! Did you know February 20th is Family Day in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta? In preparation for Family Day, I’m excited to share with you some tips that have helped me prepare for the joyous occasion of welcoming our kiddos to the world! I had my first baby almost fourteen years ago this September, but I do remember all the excitement (and also all the stress) that waiting for baby brought on.
I’ve looked back to reflect on how I’ve been able to prepare for my babies anticipated arrivals, and here’s what I have to share…
Tips for First-Time Moms When Preparing for the Arrival of Baby
The secret to me being able to juggle 6 kids plus a newborn? Its simple: I made great plans and stuck to them. Here’s what I’ve brought along with me through my parenting journey from one birth to the next:
1. Ask for help when you need it! Believe me, you’ll want to refuse and be proud that you can do it all on your own — which, don’t get me wrong, you can. But ask for help if/when you need it!
2. Have a plan! Discuss your plans with your partner, family and birth coach or doula. If you want immediate skin-to-skin, make sure everyone knows. One tool I wish I had for my deliveries was the Hug Plan. Developed by medical experts in conjunction with Huggies®, the Hug Plan is designed to enhance your own Birth Plan by helping you prepare for skin-to-skin hugs with your baby immediately after birth. I had no idea about the power of skin-to-skin back then, but when the doctors placed my first-born on me after delivery, I knew in that instant, I had to have all my babies on my chest immediately after birth for as long as possible, no questions asked. The Hug Plan helps make sure of it! Learn more about the power of touch and download the world’s First Hug Plan here.
3. Don’t have any visitors for a few days! Spend the first few days with your family and get to know your little one. I didn’t do this for a couple of my babies and I regret it, but with my last 3, I did this and it was pure magical bliss. Lots of skin-to-skin and bonding time during the early days and weeks are a must!
4. Be sure to have your essentials on-hand for baby! No one likes running out during the first few days to grab diapers and wipes. Be sure to stock up on Huggies® Little Snugglers® Diapers which are designed to help keep baby’s skin clean and healthy. Huggies® Diapers are fragrance and lotion-free, and have a breathable outer cover to let your baby’s skin breathe. Also, the Huggies® Natural Care® Wipes are lotion-free and have a softness that’s perfect for your baby’s delicate skin!
Having Huggies® products on-hand for almost 14 years has made me a more confident mom (who wants to risk a blow out on cute baby clothes)? It’s no secret I’m a Huggies® fan. I’ve been able to diaper 7 babies with ease and confidence, and it’s made me a better mother knowing I’m doing what I can to make sure my babies bottoms are clean, comfortable and taken care of.
No Baby Unhugged
If you’ve been coming to Six Time Mommy for a while, you’ll know I’m also a big supporter of the Huggies® No Baby Unhugged initiative!
No Baby Unhugged is a Huggies® program that aims to help all moms understand and embrace the power of hugs. And to help all babies get the hugs they need, even when moms can’t be there to give them, by funding and facilitating hugging programs in Canadian hospitals.
The science behind the power of human touch for babies has benefits including pain relief, breastfeeding rates, infant mental health, brain development and more. You can learn more here.
Visit nobabyunhugged.ca to show your support for hugs by becoming a No Baby Unhugged mom and receive a free pack of diapers!
Being a mom is the greatest gift in the world. In my opinion, there isn’t anything better or more rewarding. So enjoy your Family Day with the ones you love and be sure to give them lots of hugs!
This year, to celebrate Family Day, I worked with Huggies® to capture some special images of my girls and I. We had a wonderful time at this photoshoot, and the images turned out even more incredible than I ever imagined thanks to the amazingly talented photographer, Stephanie Webster.
HAPPY FAMILY DAY! Enjoy your families, and make special moments count! Very special thank you to Huggies® Canada for helping me capture these special moments that I will now cherish forever.
Connect with the photographer and book a session in the GTA:
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Huggies® Brand Canada. As always, all reviews and opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Jeanine (see all)
- Breaking the Cat Code With Arm & Hammer™ and The Cat Whisperer Mieshelle Nagelschneider #ArmAndHammerCat #LitterBoxLife - March 25, 2017
- Disney Beauty and The Beast Toys Now Available at Toys“R”Us Stores Across Canada + Get Your 15% Off Discount Code Here! - March 24, 2017
- Little Snugglers Nano Preemie Diaper Launching in Canadian NICUs TODAY! #NoBabyUnhugged - March 23, 2017