Last week my kiddos and I felt really awful. Some kids were burning up, others had stuffy noses, others a cough. I had a whole sinus clog happening – it wasn’t pretty. We did however get through it with minimal whining and complaining…
But, guess what? Yesterday my husband woke up with a cold. Not just any cold though, a MAN COLD.
Yep, there is a difference. If you didn’t know that then kudos to your man, and to you for choosing a man who can deal with it like a normal human being..
What’s the difference between a cold and a MAN Cold you ask? Well, let me tell you!
A cold is what we all normally know as a stuffy/runny nose, cough and often some aches. A man cold? Is all that PLUS a whiney, grown man who can’t quite grasp why he feels so awful and feels like he’s dying and the world MUST be ending because he feels so awful.
A man cold isn’t fun. For anyone involved. Especially wives and children. You’d think the man was on his death bed, or suffering from a horrific illness. Nope, just a cold… But, a man cold because well, men can just be such babies!
Here are some ways I’ve had to deal With these dreaded man colds over the last 10 years….
1. Don’t ignore, it makes it SO much worse: Although, I know I for one would love to tune my husband out at times (not at all time) when sick, but just don’t do it. They take it very personally and his moans and groans will become worse. When they speak listen, if they ask for something it’s OK to roll your eyes, but do it anyway.
2. Offer to get fluids and food: Because if you don’t he will either —
A) Starve while complaining or
B) Do it himself making a huge mess and leaving it for you to clean anyway.
So, I offer and do it for him. Saves me from hearing about it or having to clean up even more of a mess when he’s done.
3. If he is able, and wants to take medicine remind him: My husband had forgot a few times and it’s like a war just broke out. “oh.my.gosh. The pills! I forgot the pills, my everything hurts!” literally it’s like a 7th man child. Que, eye rolls from me while I speed walk to the kitchen to fetch the medicine.
4. When he asks you to feel his head, and he will, MULTIPLE times… Just do it: Even if you just did it 10 minutes ago I feel just doing it makes him feel better, even if you feel nothing different. I always say “oh a little better than last check! ” it works, try it! Don’t ever tell him it’s worse though, I promise you – it isn’t worth the hassle.
5. Finally, just love on him. I’m sure the man cold doesn’t make an appearance often, it doesn’t at my house, but when it does I don’t mind taking care of him even if he IS worse than a child during this time. He’s a man, and clueless so it’s our jobs to take care of them and make sure they are comfy. After all, they do it for us when we are sick (or at least should!) show ’em we care even during that awful man cold we hope ends and never, EVER returns!
So tell me, do you know anyone that gets man colds? If not, you are LUCKY! If so, how do you deal with it?