2017 is right around the corner — can you believe it? I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and are as stuffed as I am on turkey and stuffing! Now though, is the time I try to start eating better. I usually enjoy whatever I want over the holidays and of course a few days later feel terrible about it!
I am struggling guys. Struggling pretty badly to lose baby weight from our beautiful baby girl this past summer. I’ve never lost weight very quickly after babies, but this time I feel like I’m gaining it at rapid speeds. She is almost 5 months old and although breastfeeding is always talked about as this wonderful thing that helps you lose weight — it never has for me, and Hanna is a champion nurser so I find I am hungry all the time.
With 2017 right around the corner I want to tackle eating the best I can. To start I am really excited to share with you this delicious Avocado and Cannellini bean salad! It’s delicious, filling and the best part? It isn’t full of terrible things for you!
Avocado & Cannellini Bean Salad
- 1 large avocado
- 1 15-ounce can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of a small lemon
- 4-5 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium size bowl, scoop the flesh of each avocado half out in one piece.
- Squeeze the lemon all over the avocado and cut into cubes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and toss gently, being careful to not break the avocado up too much.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper, vinegar and oil to your liking.
- You can eat this at room temperature by itself or over lettuce. It’s also great with tortilla chips or flatbread.
If you prefer it chilled, place it in the refrigerator and stir it every 10 or 15 minutes. Keep in mind that the avocado will start to turn, so I don’t suggest waiting too long to eat it ;)
To spice it up, you can add finely chop jalapeno or crushed red pepper flakes.
For 2017 I don’t really have many goals beyond blog goals. I do however want to start eating way better, and making sure to stay healthy for not only my sake but my family too. I really need to be a little more adventurous with food, and explore new things.
Before my pregnancy with Hanna I was so picky. I wouldn’t eat many things but now I am trying more, and eating things I’d swore I wouldn’t ever eat before – and its great, my kids really are more adventurous than me when it comes to food so I want them to see me doing the same.
I find now if I don’t like some things my kids automatically don’t like them either, especially my girls. Always trying to be like their mama — its safe to say everything we do as parents are not only under the microscope from others but our little ones eyes too, its important we lead by example so in 2017 I’m making sure that stretches to eating for me too!
What are your goals for 2017?