Growing up I never went a single day without animals. Cats and dogs have always been my favorite animals, and I knew when I was old enough I’d have them of my very own. Right now we have three cats, and three dogs plus a parrot, guinea pig and fish! Talk about a little zoo of our very own!
With my mom’s cats when I was growing up they always ate cat grass. I never understood why when they’d throw up, how could that be good for them? So, I decided once I had my own pets to do my own research to find out about Cat Grass, and it turns out it’s not that bad for them.
Many experts say munching on those long green blades can be beneficial for your cat. Cats regurgitate when they eat grass because they lack the necessary enzymes to break down vegetable matter. In moderation, it is ok for them to eat.
So, where do you get grass good enough for them to eat? Of course, I thought why not grow it myself! How else can you Live big if you don’t try to make new things, out of your comfort zone like cat grass? I decided as part of my #PurinaPetPeople ambassadorship to #LetsLiveBig this year by making our very own cat grass as a treat for our three special purr babies.
- Organic seed starting potting soil
- Cat grass seeds
- Empty and clean plastic containers
- Take off any wrappers from your containers then wash and dry them.
- Fill your container 3/4 way with your organic potting soil and press the soil down with your fingers or spoon.
- Sprinkle half your packet of seeds on top of your pressed soil.
- Now fill the remaining area on top of your seeds with soil but do not pack down.
- Water morning and night and place in your window sill for sunlight.
- In 7-10 days your cat grass should start growing, and after that, it grows quickly.
Quick and easy! Now wait for it to grow, and there you go! Cat Grass!
Of course, our cats need many other treats and a good sustainable food every day such as my cats current favourite Cat Chow Naturals.
We’ve once again partnered with Purina for the 2017 #PurinaPetPeople Ambassador program and I am thrilled to be bringing more of my favourite little furry friends to Six Time Mommy! I also look forward to chronicling how well we’re doing; my weight loss journey and exercise with the dogs and also how well everything else I planned to do to Live Big this year, goes. I can already tell you it’s going to be an amazing year!
Have you ever grown your own cat grass? What do you think, would you like to try?