Summer has officially started in our house. ALL our kids are home now due to some terrible things going on at the boys school I pulled the last 2 kids out (whole other post, for a whole other time!) so we are now thinking and planning ahead for some summer fun!
Are you working off a tight budget this summer? Then you might be looking for ways to cut corners while still having fun. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to have fun during the summer while keeping some cash in your pockets. Look at these 25 summer activities that don’t cost a dime. They are perfect for keeping kids busy without having to worry about spending a ton of cash. Our city has tons of free things to do including city pools. It probably won’t take families long to complete all of these activities though, especially if the weather is nice. Towards the end of the summer months, you may decide to spend some money so that your children can get involved with something like a summer camp and all the activities that these types of camps can offer.
Here are 25 ideas to get you started.
- Fill up your paddling pools and take some time to splash around.
- Take some time to look for constellations and other important stars in the night sky.
- Create a leaf collection of unusual and colorful leaves found in nature.
- Try building a fort using materials found outside. See how creative you can get.
- Paint rocks into colorful creatures and critters. Display them in your garden.
- Trace leaves with paper and crayons. Don’t forget to hang up your artwork.
- Download free games and apps on your smartphone.
- Have a dance party to free music found on Pandora.
- Enjoy free story times and free books at your local library.
- Take advantage of any free outdoor concerts, plays, or productions.
- See if your local rec center offers any free kid’s camps, classes, or lectures.
- Use craft supplies you have on hand to create something fun.
- Make smoothie using fresh fruit and ice cream you have on hand.
- Wash your bikes with dish soap and a hose.
- Have a potato sack race using trash bags. Make tinfoil medallions for the winner!
- Take a neighbor’s dog for a walk. They might even pay you!
- Go looking for different kinds of birds. Make a list or sketch the birds you see.
- Enjoy breakfast in bed. You can’t do that during the school year!
- Take advantage of the free reading program at Barnes and Noble.
- Eat your lunch on a blanket or picnic style. If you have an outdoor dining set or hammock, consider eating on that, too!
- Find a local park or splash pad. Take advantage of free parks and their equipment. If the park is big and empty, maybe you can play some sort of ball game, such as soccer or tennis.
- Go through your old clothing and play dress up. You can even have a fashion show.
- Get out the flashlights and play hide and seek in the dark.
- Pick flowers. Take them to a neighbor who may enjoy them.
- Go for a family bike ride. Visit a place you haven’t been to yet.
As you can see, you have lots of options when it comes to frugal summer fun. Consider these 25 FREE summer activities with your family and see if they don’t help you pass the time for less. You can try these activities as they are or put your own spin on them. Get creative and see what kind of frugal fun you can have!