School hasn’t started for us yet. It starts Sept 2nd ( we get out at the end of June and always go back in Sept ) None of my kids are excited to go back so it’s been a bit of a struggle. While Jordan is bordering on being SUPER EXCITED and SUPER NERVOUS for starting grade 6, having a locker etc the others? Couldn’t care less and want to stay home.
So here are some of the tricks I’ve been trying these last 2 weeks before school starts up…
|New hair cuts for school!|
5. Shop for back to school – the only reason they get excited for back to school items is because I get them involved and let them basically pick everything out themselves!
4. Let them Choose hair styles and Cuts – I took them last week to get their hair done and let them Choose what they wanted. Jordan chose a small trim, Kyla wanted bangs, Jayden’s was a wee bit short but suits him and Ava couldn’t exactly get much done because her hair is soooo curly and crazy, but she got her bangs cut and a good trim!
3. Get them back on an earlier schedule with our back to school bedtime routine. During the school year if we have good bedtimes we bring back our Family Movie Nights on the weekends with treats of their choice. So we’ve started this again, this past weekend we had our first back to school movie night. Kids got to pick their treats & stay up later. We get to do these every weekend when we have smooth bedtimes during the week, which can sometimes be EXTREMELY hard especially after a summer of somewhat later, scattered bedtimes. (much different than our week night family movie nights, which they too love during the summer!)
2. Discuss all the fun, good things that happened the previous year – they’ve had a rough go with schools. Hoping with the coming of a new principal in September in this school they’ve been in since March will be the little change they need to make it better. Discussing it all and reminding them how we deal with issues appropriately seems to help re-assure them things will be just fine!
1. New year, new grades, new duds, new friends, how exciting? The last thing I’m doing is encouraging and trying to make going back to school as fun and stress free as possible. I remember how nervous I always was, and how much stress it put on me. So I’m trying as best I can, and as much as I can to alleviate that for them and make the most of this exciting, nerve wrecking and probably scary time!
Do you have any tips? If your kids are just starting school, veterans or long out of school what helped prepare your kids for the big day?