Well, it’s official. We only have eleven nights of sleep left until the kids start back at school. Although, I’m ready for them to go back and I’m looking forward to the structure and routine again, I’m not exactly looking forward to the busy mornings and hurried after-school activities and rounds of homework. I am however heading into the school year ahead a bit more prepared this year than any other year. How may you ask? Alexa. Alexa and the Amazon Echo. Alexa is the voice of the Amazon Echo (and Echo Dot, Echo Plus, and Echo Spot) when my kids ask me homework help or questions I don’t know the answer to, I just ask Alexa and she finds it for me.
What is the Amazon Echo?
A hands-free speaker you control with your voice, Amazon Echo connects to the Alexa Voice Service where you can play music, ask questions, send and receive messages and calls, get directions, the news, weather and even have a joke told to you! All by simply asking.
The Echo has an enhanced speaker that now features Dolby processing and has seven microphones built within so it can hear you from across the room (even with music playing!) When you’d like to use the Echo, simply say “Alexa?” and the Amazon Echo responds immediately. You can also Voice Control your home! Use Echo to switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn on the coffee maker on your way to the kitchen, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie—all without lifting a finger.
Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed. Echo works with lights, locks, switches, thermostats, and more from WeMo, Philips Hue, ecobee, and Wink.
How will the Amazon Echo help prep for back-to-school?
- Weather: Not sure in the morning scramble if that outfit, or long sleeve is necessary? Ask Alexa on your Echo. Instantly be told the weather today in your location!
- Send Messages to the house: School bus just about at your stop? Send a message to each Echo throughout the house that the “Bus is almost here!”
- Traffic Info: Find out how the traffic is on your way to school for drop off or your commute to work!
- Homework Help: Start the year off right. Ask Alexa help with homework questions or look up info for that first project!
- Ordering: Run out of your child’s favourite school treats? Ask Alexa in that moment so you don’t forget, “Alexa, reorder 365 Everyday Value Organic Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites”
- Get the kids Minds Going: Get them prepped for the day ahead ask “Alexa, open Word of the Day Quiz“
- Brighten Everyones day: Ask Alexa to tell you and your kids a joke!
With Alexa and the Amazon Echo, we are ready to head into the new year confident and ready to take on whatever the year may throw at us.
Looking to use Alexa in the kid’s room? Need it to be a little more discreet? No worries, that’s what the Echo Dot is for!
What is the Amazon Echo Dot?
The Echo Dot which yes, does use Alexa—the brain behind Echo Dot—is built in the cloud, so it is always getting smarter. The more you use Dot, the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal preferences. And because Echo Dot is always connected, updates are delivered automatically.
- Echo Dot (2nd Generation) is a hands-free, voice-controlled device that uses Alexa to play music, control smart home devices, make calls, send and receive messages, provide information, read the news, set alarms, and more
- Connects to speakers through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Prime Music, Spotify, and Radioplayer. Play music simultaneously across Echo devices and speakers connected via cable with multi-room music.
- Call or message almost anyone hands-free with your Echo device. Also, instantly connect to other Echo devices in your home using just your voice.
- Controls lights, fans, TVs, switches, thermostats, locks, and more with compatible connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Wink, and others
- Hears you from across the room with 7 far-field microphones for hands-free control, even in noisy environments or while playing music
- Includes a built-in speaker so it can work on its own as a smart alarm clock in the bedroom, an assistant in the kitchen, or anywhere you might want a voice-controlled computer
- Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills like Sportsnet, CBC, Air Canada, and more
Being smaller and more compact than the Echo, or Echo Plus the Echo Dot is 32 mm x 84 mm x 84 mm, and 163 grams.
While we love having both the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot in our home, I think I’m most excited about the features and uses we will have during the school year to keep us prepped and prepared all year long!
Grab yours today!
Pick up an Echo, here. (currently on sale, save $20!)
Pick up an Echo Dot, here. (currently on sale, save $25!)
Be prepared for anything the school year, and life has for you this year – get connected, and stay ready with the Amazon Echo’s and Alexa!