Well that was quick! Summer is almost over. How did that happen? It’s so funny before when I was pregnant the summer seemed to go by at a snail’s pace, and now it’s like it’s flying by. I hate how that happens. Guess time flies when you are having fun!
With school just around the corner my kids are not happy. They do not want to go back to school, which I don’t blame them for as their school is really not ideal but its what we have to deal with until we move again (ugh) so I’m trying to do what I can to make the idea of school starting again not as tragic as they make it seem.
I’ve been trying to make fun treats and snacks along with having some fun craft time to get them prepared for back to school! Today, I’m sharing some delicious cake pops! How cute are these for a back to school treat?
Apple Cake Pops Recipe
- Any white cake mix (eggs, oil, water)
- Red Wilton candy melts
- Pretzel twists
- Green gum drops
- Lollipop sticks
- 3/4 Cup vanilla frosting
- Red gel food coloring
- Bake your cake as directed on the box but add a couple drops of red gel food coloring
- After your cake is baked, scooped out everything but the sides, top, and bottom of the cake into a large mixing bowl and let cool
- Mix your frosting with a couple drops of red food coloring
- Mix your red frosting and cake together
- Form your cake into small balls by rolling the cake in the palms of your hands
- Place your cake balls in the freezer for 30-60 minutes and then shape into an apple/heart
- Melt your candy melts in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted (add in a 1/2 tablespoons of crisco if your melted candy is too thick)
- Once your cake ball apples are cooled, dip the top of a lollipop stick into your melted red chocolate and into the bottom of your cake ball Apples and let harden
- Now dip your cake ball into your melted chocolate by holding onto the lollipop stick and twist until covered (or use a spoon)
- Place onto a sheet of parchment paper to let harden
- Press your gumdrops flat, cut in half, and form into a leaf shape and dip the bottom into your melted red chocolate and stick on top of the Apple
- Now break off a piece of your pretzel twists, dip the end in your melted red chocolate and press into the top of your apple
Such a fun little treat! My kids love helping make cake pops so this is super fun for them. Especially during the sad time when school is starting very soon!
Do you make any fun treats to celebrate the not always so exciting time of back to school?