How is everyone doing? It’s a tough time for many and I know myself, personally I am feeling a lot of up and down feelings lately. What I’m finding most comforting? My family and food. Some days you just want a big old heaping bowl of homemade Mac and cheese. It’s comforting, it’s filling and it’s freakin’ delicious. This easy Creamy Mac and Cheese has been a favourite in our house for many years.
It’s evolved from a simple quick mac and cheese that I threw together from an old recipe on SpiffyKerms to this deliciousness you see below.
My kids love Mac and cheese and request it at least once a week. They ask us so much in fact sometimes we whip it up and make it a side.
Side to wings, BBQ steak, hot dogs & hamburgers. You name it — it’s the side you need on your plate.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- one brick medium or old cheddar cubed into 1″ pieces
- 6 – 8 cups milk
- full package elbow noodles
- water for cooking pasta
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat then add your flour.
- Stir the flour and butter until combined and let cook for about 1 minute. ( sauce will taste like flour and be gritty if you don’t)
- Add in the milk and whisk until fully combined.
- Continue cooking on medium heat stirring often until your sauce thickens to your desired creaminess.
- Start boiling your water and cook your noodles.
- Turn heat to low and add in your cheese cubes, stirring until all the cheese has melted.
- Finish cooking your noodles (i cook mine for 12 mins)
- Strain the noodles, add to the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer into a baking pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 mins.
Doesn’t it sound amazing? It is. If you have picky kids they’ll love this. I grew up on kraft dinner (aka: KD aka: boxed Mac and cheese)
My mom never made it from scratch, and I’m not even sure if she knew how. But my kids love it and it’s so quick and easy, who doesn’t want to add it to their meal plan?
Meal planning can be hard right now as heading to the grocery store is also something a lot of people aren’t doing right now. If you are, take a look at The Busy Mom’s Guide to the Grocery Store.
I know, I know. You want to lick the screen I get it. If we didn’t just have it for dinner I’d feel the same. But, we did have it on the side of our delicious BBQ.
If you are looking for a delicious homemade recipe for sausages and hamburgers this is a great one, here.
Looking for help with meal planning? Check out this post:
At Home Meal Schedule for Kids