I’m the first to admit that although back-to-school is exciting, and fun it can also be a bit stressful for us parents! All the running around trying to buy all the back-to-school supplies they need, plus clothes and all the items to make lunchtimes a huge success.
I don’t know about your kids, but last year Jackson, who was in Senior Kindergarten and 5-years-old would bring more than half his lunch home not even touched. This year, I wanted to make sure not only are they armed with the foods to fuel their little bodies and minds for the day at school but also fill their bellies, and make sure they’ll eat them!This brings us to the main staple in the lunch. Sandwiches. Sandwiches are usually the main staple in school lunches but the odd time we do soups, and homemade Lunchables… For the most part, though it can be pretty boring.
I’ve decided this year to include things we may not often think about such as protein packed homemade waffles!
Waffles are known to be a breakfast food sure, but you can change up the recipes, make them your own and eat them whenever you want! Why not add them to a lunch box every so often! They are a huge hit with the kids
- 1 cup Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Plain cottage cheese
- Two large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Four tablespoons melted butter
- Two tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- One tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey
- Preheat waffle iron
- Melt butter and set aside
- Whisk together dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. ( mix well but leave somewhat chunky.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients, careful not to over mix
- Stir in butter
- Add 1/2 cup waffle batter per waffle to iron.
- Close the lid and cook until golden brown!
With school right around the corner, it’s a must to start getting ideas for lunches right now! I for one love taking the time to pack my kids lunches and find it relaxing. It’s also really rewarding packing good, nutritious snacks and food they will eat and not bring home untouched at the end of the day.
Using Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Plain in the batter for the waffles not only makes these waffles a delicious, healthy option but they are also jam packed with protein now something that kids of all ages and grades need to focus and be able to live their very best day at school!
Why is Gay Lea Nordica Smooth Plain Cottage Cheese is a must-have staple in our refrigerator?
- Nutritionally loaded with vitamins, calcium, high in protein, and low in fat
- Perfect mixed with fruit, maple syrup, in meatballs, lasagna, salads, shakes, and cakes
- Gluten free
- Nut Free
- Certified Kosher
- Available only in Ontario
- 80 calories per 1 portion
Want to make back to school season a little easier? How about winning a Ninja Supra Kitchen System? Heck yes!
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea, and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.