I’ve got to tell you, this self-isolation gig is rather tough on the dinner menu these days. As everything has become tight, especially finances having all the kids home 24/7. I am a huge Chinese take out fan so P and I decided to get a little bit creative and start making our own Chinese take out items like this unbelievable Crispy Asian Orange Chicken. Such a simple recipe that you and all your loved ones will be coming back for more.
I have to admit, I’m not a huge vegetable fan at all and I find that at least here (Barrie), the take out restaurants like to fill their containers of Crispy Asian Orange Chicken with big chunky veggies. With this amazingly simple and kid-friendly Crispy Asian Orange Chicken, there is a huge opportunity to fill your kiddos up with lots of veggies or, if your kids are anything like mine, serve ’em straight up with a side of rice and salad.
I love that with this recipe, you can make your Crispy Asian Orange Chicken chunks as big or as small as desired. Take us for example, P makes sure to cut the chicken into a variety of different sizes (age range is adult to toddler), which ensures that every kid gets manageable pieces. Maybe he shouldn’t though cause I’ve never seen food disappear so quickly let me tell you.
Orange Chicken Prep List:
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- juice from 2 oranges (or freshly squeezed about 1 cup)
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/4 soy sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- two cloves garlic minced
- vegetable oil for frying (about 1/4 cup)
- splash of sesame oil in the marinade
Chicken in the Making:
- Zest and juice your 2 oranges into a medium-sized bowl along with the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper, and garlic. Whisk until fully combined.
- Combine about 1/3 of the sauce with the cut-up chicken and let soak for about ten mins,
- As the chicken soaks, preheat a large, heavy skillet with your vegetable oil over medium heat and set out your flour in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Take your chicken pieces and dredge them in the flour adding them straight into the pan.
- When all the chicken is in the pan, cook for about 4 mins a side (until a nice golden colour).
- Strain out the oil and add the remainder of your sauce to the chicken and bring up to a simmer.
- Let simmer for about 20 – 30 mins until your sauce has thickened and reduced to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with sesame seed, green onion, or whatever you prefer and serve immediately.
When we made this recipe for the first time, I had no idea that the entire family would go crazy for this simple yet elegant version of Crispy Asian Orange Chicken. Throughout these isolated times, this has become a huge hit for the family that really calls for nothing that we didn’t already have in the pantry and the fridge. The exception being the rice wine vinegar which is easily and readily available at any grocer (for delivery I’m sure).