As you know I am participating in a year long Gay Lea ambassador program. This month’s theme for our Gay Lea post is to update a classic recipe. I have been having so much fun with this Gay Lea ambassadorship making new recipes, it’s fun to change up an old favorite and make it a little more fun! This month, we’re tackling banana bread. I’m sure everyone can agree it’s a classic and a favorite!
Banana Bread has that special smell that is comforting and makes you feel at home. My mom was an amazing baker, and her banana bread was top notch. One thing I say often is how much I not only miss my mom and grandma but I miss their cooking bad baking. I learned a lot from both of them at even an early age, but I feel like I missed out on a lot too. Their recipes were second to none, and I am grateful I got my love of cooking and baking from them!
For this recipe, we used Gay Lea Sour Cream and Gay Lea Butter to guarantee a rich, and flavourful bread. Something I haven’t ever done to my Banana bread before. Boy, was it good! I couldn’t believe it lasted long enough for me to take photos of because my kids wanted to gobble it up as fast as it came out of the oven!
What you need for this delicious recipe:
- 6 Over Ripe Bananas
- 500mL Gay Lea Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla
- 2 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup Gay Lea Salted Butter
- I use frozen bananas so start by letting your bananas defrost until workable.
- Cream your 3/4 cup butter and 3 cups sugar.
- Next add eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda and half the flour.
- Stir until mixed well (I choose to mix by hand).
- Next add your sour cream and the rest of the flour.
- Mix well until you have a smooth but chunky batter.
- Evenly distribute into two greased loaf pans and bake for one hour at 325 or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Fair warning! This bread is super moist and needs ample cool down time. Slice and spread with Gay Lea butter and enjoy!
There you have it! Updated, old classic! It’s really good, and I found adding Gay Lea brings in a richness that a good banana bread needs but sometimes can be lacking. I like to top my warm slices of banana bread with a little bit of Gay Lea butter, and the taste is unreal.
My kids tend to copy everything I do, and really enjoy adding butter to theirs too. It’s something my mom used to always do too. So tasty, and goes great paired with a good tea or cold glass of milk!
So tasty and easy! How would you like to win a iPad mini 2 to carry around, write up and read your own reipes? Well, you are in luck! There is a GIVEAWAY for one this month!
Do you like to butter your banana bread when eating?
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.