Remember when Tater Tots first arrived on the shelves of every grocery store? I sure do! I loved them then, and I still love them now. So why not share the love and pass it along to all of my wonderful kiddos??? They love the store bought tots so why not make them the healthier way and use an air fryer. Since getting mine, there is no going back. Before you go and buy one, just make sure you read reviews! I spent so much time working out which one was right for my family and could give me everything I wanted. Have a look at cosori vs ninja air fryer reviews first to get you started. Anyway, you have to keep reading and check out just what I made with my air fryer!
Having such a large family with well let’s just say some kooky aversions to certain foods, potatoes are always a hit and miss. French fries are always a no-brainer for all of the family, and mashed potatoes are only good for half of the kids. Well, these tater tots remedy all the fuss. Crispy on the outside like a fry and creamy on the inside like a mashed potato. I started looking for the best cuisinart air fryer a couple of years back and have no regrets. I’ve used this fryer over and over again, and have definitely got my money’s worth.
While I was preparing these lovely little treats, my kids all came up to me at different times and proceeded to tell me how much of a distaste they have for these versatile little veggies. I told them just to hang in, and they will be their next favorite snack until they cook for themselves.
I started my trial tots four at a time to properly get the crunch, consistency and cooking time down and low and behold; they lasted about two seconds! No sooner had I taken them out of the Phillips Air Fryer did my little ones sneak into the kitchen and gobble them up! Thank god I took a bite out of one of them first. Once the other kids smelt and saw these delectable little tots, they were sold! Even my eldest son Jordan (pickiest eater I have ever seen and I am in the food industry), dug right in and even asked for more!!! Wow right??
- 6 large peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes until just over half cooked.
- Run under cold water until potatoes are fully cooled.
- Using a box shredder, shred all potatoes onto cheesecloth or a clean dish towel.
- Squeeze out all of the excess moisture from the shredded potatoes. (The dryer the better)
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients until well mixed.
- With your hands, shape your tots into any shape or size you like.
- Here at the sixtimemommy abode, we use the Phillips air fryer for such glorious little treats such as these which means there is no oil or fire hazardous materials needed. For the air dryer, set your temperature to 190 and cook for seven minutes. When time is up, give the tots a good shake and put back in. Reset timer for 12 mins and check halfway giving them another good shake. We are looking for nice golden brown and crunchiness!
- For a traditional deep fryer, 350 temp and cook until floating and tots have a nice golden brown coating.
- Traditional oven 425 for 8-10 mins, flip and continue cooking until golden brown. Please note: Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer. Cook until desired brown.
Since making these tots, my kids have demanded that they are served for every breakfast for dinner we have. Yes, people, we love our breakfast for dinner and lunch some days too. Just goes to show you how awesome these tots are.
Well, my friends, now that our mouth is watering and your eye is twitching, head on into the kitchen and whip yourself up a batch of some of the best tater tots ever!!!!!
Like this recipe? PIN for later!
Do you have an air fryer? Could you see yourself enjoying these tots?