So I gotta tell you, since starting my own little blog, the competition has stepped up its game. and yes, while you may wonder what I’m talking about, I love to compete with myself. I find I get a better outcome that way. These Homemade Apple Fritter Donuts literally made me scream in delight when they puffed and floated to the top in true fritter fashion. I mean, this is a true, better than bakery recipe and they cost pennies on the dollar.If you’ve not been over to my site, I have started to become seriously disappointed with our current coffee shop/ donut shop situation. With current focus driven towards a healthy lifestyle that I’m totally for, Let us not forget that it is okay for us to partake in the forbidden yumminess known as the Apple Fritter! I have found that the overall quality of the fritter has suffered bad enough that I have chosen to make these and other popular items at home, in my little kitchen, homemade and fresh.Ingredients:
- 3 medium-sized apples(tart or sweet, you decide)
- 2 eggs (large or better)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- lemon juice to toss apples in
- deep fryer or enough oil to fry with (4- 6 cups)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the eggs and the sugar until it pales in colour.
- Add flour, baking powder, milk and cinnamon and mix well.
- Separately, mix the apples and lemon juice (stops the apples from browning) then with a spoon, stir in apples to dough.
- Heat your oil to 375 using a thermometer or an electric pan ( after years in restaurants, don’t do what I do! I drop a drop of water in the oil. when it splatters its go time). Use a thermometer
- When the oil is up to temp, use a vegetable serving spoon to scoop out your dough and carefully drop into oil.
- When the bottom is golden, flip it over with either two knives or tongs and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown as well. Generally around 5 mins per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove fritters from oil onto a paper towel lined cooling rack.
- Make a quick glaze consisting of 1 cup icing sugar, 2 tbs butter, 2 tbsp hot water and 1/2 tsp vanilla and dip both sides of fritter until well coated.cool completely and dig in or don’t wait ( I don’t)
I double this recipe and sometimes have to make it back to back because of the addictive nature of such said dessert. there have been some burnt rooves of mouths in the house since I’ve had the absolute pleasure of making these Fritters. It’s really a win-win though when you think about it. the kids get a kick-ass snack to take to school and be the envy of the class. For if they can pronounce all the ingredients and the pantry holds them all, they can certainly eat it as a snack option for class.
There you have it, my friends. I really wanted to steal this one for my own but it is a perfect addition here. Have no fear of the almighty Fritter friends, an easily mastered donut of mass delectability. Enjoy!
Like this recipe? PIN for later!