If you are anything like me and you love to bake you often find yourself heading to the kitchen excited to whip up a special recipe only to find out you are out of a key ingredient. For me, that ingredient is usually brown sugar. For some reason I tend to use a lot of it, and although I used to buy a few bags at a time I haven’t in a while and that’s because I found out how to make my own!
That’s right. It’s super easy to make your own brown sugar so I have been doing it for a little while now and it has saved me tons of money! So, I figured I’d show you how to save a little money and make your very own brown sugar
- 1 C. white granulate sugar
- 2 tbs molasses
- Add the 1 cup of white sugar to a food processor and add in 2 tablespoon of molasses (see photo).
- Pulse until blended (see photo).
- If you would prefer darker brown sugar simply add a little more molasses 1 tablespoon at a time and pulse until blended.
- *Store in an airtight container and use as you would store bought brown sugar.
Simple, Quick and way less expensive than at the store. White sugar is always cheaper compared to brown and I rarely use white sugar, so this works out just great! I love not having to worry. If I run out of brown sugar I can whip some up rather fast and not worry about my recipes going to waste.
I am really bad for not checking before I start a recipe to make sure I have everything on hand. Which always ends badly, but at least this helps a little bit. Now if only I could make all the other ingredients I usually run out of.. Hmmm, maybe get a coop of chickens? :)