I used to go all out for Easter and my kids, but then I realized they don’t need all that junk. Most of it ended up in my belly, or in the garbage or sitting up in a cupboard for months because I limit the candy, sugar and chocolate my kids get. So I finally decided it was time to go basic.
I like to put 1 small chocolate bunny in their baskets, a couple of those little easter eggs and the rest is fun, and for play.
My kids get: Playdough, Books, Coloring books, Pencils, Crayons, Bubbles, Skipping ropes/cars, puzzles, slinkies, flash cards, and fun little trinkets they can play with or read.
When I was growing up I was able to pick 1 item (a dvd, skipping rope, jacket, tickets to something, a gift card, etc) and the rest was chocolate. I loved it at the time but I wasn’t a huge junk food freak like I am now. So, I try to avoid this with my kids. I make treats for the weekend, of course and again I usually end up eating most of it with my husband – but for the actual baskets, I’m pretty strict now.
I plan to make their main treat in their basket this year, and these flowers are exactly what I envisioned.
- Wilton white chocolate melting candy
- Pastel M&M’s
- Vanilla extract
- Small silicone flower mold
- Using a microwave safe bowl, microwave your Wilton chocolate melts on 50% power for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted
- Add in a half tablespoon of vanilla extract and mix
- Place your Eminem in the bottom of the silicon flower mold
- Now pour your melted white chocolate on top of the M&M’s until full
- Set in the fridge for 20 minutes or until hardened
- Pop your chocolates out by pressing up on the bottom of the mold and stretching the sides
Do you plan on making any fun treats this weekend?