I know I’m not the only one who likes sending in at least one treat with their kiddos for their long day at school and while I know these aren’t the healthiest of homemade treats to be made they are delicious and they are a favorite of my kiddos as a treat in the lunch box that I don’t mind sending! These homemade gummy snacks can be made so many ways but we chose to make them with jello for the flavoring! This way the coloring is in it as well as the flavoring leaving out a few extra steps and still making delicious gummy snacks! They are actually really tasty although not overpowering with flavor, they make a good treat for those who enjoy gummies. Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- Boxed jello (use different flavors for different colors/ flavors separately)
- 2 pouches unflavoured gelatin
- Condiment squeeze container or dropper
- In a glass bowl add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup corn syrup and stir until corn syrup is dissolved completely
- Pour into a medium-sized pot and add jello mix and pouched of gelatin
- Gelatin will take a few minutes to dissolve, stir slowly with a non-stick spatula
- Over medium-low heat, stir your mixture every minute or so, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn for 5-10 minutes
- When the mixture has thickened, remove from heat, and fill a condiment squeeze container (or dropper) and fill up your molds
- Let cool in your counter or in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours. Then enjoy
They are delicious. I will say they taste just like jello but aren’t as in your face with the flavor as most jello or even gummy snacks. I have one daughter who won’t even touch store bought but gobbles these right up! You can use as many different jello flavorings and colors as you like. We also have lemon for yellow and grape for purple but for this batch only did the three.
I’ve made homemade fruit gummies many different ways. Including with fruit juice and although they turned out really good – they were different and I enjoy eating a good gummy snack as do my kids so after trying many different ones these are our favorite. If you want to make these yourself I got the molds, by Rosanna Pansino, from Bulk Barn here in Canada and I found them (HERE) on Amazon.
You can do actual gummy bears too with gummy bear molds also found on Amazon, I got these ones. (HERE)
What is your favorite flavor of gummy? I love the red ones! In this case – cherry! Yum.