After we found out we’re expecting twins we decided to cut down on ordering in… So that means our usual Asian, Chinese, and pizza nights once a month wouldn’t be happening anymore. Of course, this made me so sad because when you’re pregnant all you want to do is eat what you crave, and sometimes a girl just craves! So we are trying our hand at all the take-out made from scratch! This Homemade Shredded Asian Chicken will rock your world!
This recipe does use a slow cooker – so if you have one, you are good to go!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped scallions and rice for serving
- Spray the liner of a 6qt slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add chicken breast to the bottom.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic, and ginger.
- Pour over chicken breast and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and then remove chicken to a plate to shred.
- Set the slow cooker to high so it comes to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a small cup and that whisk into the sauce until thickened.
- Place shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.
- Serve over a bed of rice and top with scallions.
When P and I discussed trying our hand at doing Chinese take out at home, this Homemade Shredded Asian Chicken was simply a no brainer and an instant family favorite after the first bite! We have some picky eaters in the house and P nailed this deliciousness to the point that there were no leftovers and every single child had seconds. We were fortunate enough to find pre-cooked and shredded chicken from the hot take-out section of our local grocery mart which takes this recipe to a totally new level of quickness and ease.
Having all the kids at home and me still working full time, things can get quite hectic here around the house so finding that one amazing recipe which will keep P out of the kitchen and free up some much-needed extra time has now become more essential than ever. Homemade Shredded Asian Chicken will fast become a family favorite of yours as well, this I am certain of especially if you are in need of a picky eater’s paradise dinner. Let me tell you, we have some of the pickiest of eaters I have ever seen.
Our other 3 recipes along with this delicious Homemade Shredded Asian Chicken will give you just about the same experience as the real deal and literally cost you a fraction of the price! For our family, it only makes sense to make our own Chinese “take out” style dinners and the savings are actually quite dramatic at the end of the month. Check out our Homemade Sweet and Sour Chinese Chicken Balls, our Homemade Egg Rolls, and our Crispy Asian Orange Chicken .
Homemade Shredded Asian Chicken has and is a wonderful addition to our newly reformed “take out” regime and we can’t wait to create some more recipes for you too!