I am a huge fan of Chinese take-out. I will be honest and say we get it about twice a month, but the only thing the kids and I like from Chinese take-out? Is the Sweet and Sour Chicken balls. It was recently brought to my attention that they don’t have Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls in the United States. WHAT?
This can’t be true. A friend of mine told me so I asked a couple of other friends and while they say they do have sweet and sour chicken (we do too!), they don’t have Sweet and Sour Chicken balls (they are NOT the same thing). My mind is completely blown because these are the best things EVER. Pair them with our homemade egg rolls and our Crispy Asian orange chicken — you’ll be all set!
These delicious balls of dough filled with huge chunks of chicken are delicious. Juicy, and when dipped or drizzled with your favorite Sweet and Sour sauce are the best! My kids love them and while I do eat egg rolls as well, this is all they’ll eat. So when we make our Chinese take-out order we usually have to get 3-4 boxes of them and they cost a whopping $9.99 each box.
So it was only natural I’ve been bugging my husband to try his hand at making them, and he blew it out of the park. They taste just like take-out.
Ingredients for Batter:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly and add 1 cup of water.
- Stir together gradually adding the remaining water until you get a smooth and creamy batter.
- Set aside.
- In a medium/ large pot, heat 4 cups oil to 375.
- Cut 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- Dunk chicken into the batter with a clean wet hand for maximum coverage of batter.
- Carefully drop battered balls into hot grease. (When they float back up to the top, give them a spin).
- Cook until golden brown all around and scoop them into a paper towel-lined bowl. (I like the containers though).
- We don’t make our own sauce, we usually freeze containers when we get them from take-out or buy some at the store (homemade never tastes the same to me). But once you’ve found your favorite, pour-over chicken balls and enjoy.
While I do love the convenience of ordering Chinese take-out I don’t love the prices. These take nothing to make and the money we will save is going to be amazing for us. I crave these all the time, so now when I am in the mood for delicious take-out I can just ask my hubby to throw in a batch and off we go! I am really excited about it because I’m tired of wasting so much money every time I have a craving.
I was worried my kids would be picky and not like them but I was shocked when every single one of them, even my teen who is ultra picky really loved them. He’s made them twice since the first batch, and each time they just get better and better! So delicious.
If you love Chinese take-out give these a try. If you’ve never heard of them before – you will want to give these a try too! They are so good, I promise — you won’t want to order take-out anymore!
Like this recipe? PIN IT FOR LATER!
Love this recipe?
Try this one – – Homemade Egg Rolls