When it comes to having kids you have to be creative. The simple things although often do, sometimes just don’t cut it! When it comes to play dough we go through mountains of it in our house! I mean, mountains! I’ve made plenty of different kinds (here’s one) but sometimes when the kids want to play with play dough you may not have some of the ingredients laying around so you have to make do.
This recipe is something I am so excited over as it uses something from my childhood, Kool-Aid. I always have some on hand which oddly enough is funny because my kids don’t drink it (too much sugar!) but the odd time I get a craving for it so I have a couple hidden away.. Green is my absolute favourite, and so why not put it to good use! Kool-Aid Play Dough is probably one of the coolest things!
Make Your Own Kool-Aid Play Dough
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 packet of lemon-lime koolaid (or any flavor)
- 1/3 Cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fine table salt
1. Scoop your flour, cream of tartar, kool-aid and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix
2. Add in your water and vegetable oil and mix well
3. Heat in the microwave for about 50 seconds
4. Mix well with a spatula
5. Now mix in your hands (careful it’s very hot)
To store – keep in an airtight container for about a week, if you notice any mold, discard. As this doesn’t contain any chemicals to keep.
Doesn’t it look vibrant and bright? I love it, and so do the kids. Such a fun way to have fun and its super easy!
Have you ever made homemade play dough?