Summertime brings loads of festivals and multi-cultural events, especially here in Toronto. However, we are moving in a few weeks to a whole different city (cue the biggest happy face you ever did see!) and we won’t be able to attend any of these fun events, so it’s only natural we try some things on our own at home, right? Well, that brings us to this month’s Gay Lea feature!
Tasked with the job of coming up with a recipe to celebrate Multicultural Dishes featuring Gay Lea! My husband and I tried to figure out what to do and I immediately thought of a pizza. I love pizza (who doesn’t?) and there are so many different ways to make and top pizza. My husband came up with Mediterranean and decided on all the toppings. I’m a very picky eater and sad to admit just about everything this pizza was topped with I “don’t like” but for the sake of this post and to be honest I tried it, and I ended up eating two full slices. While I wouldn’t eat these toppings on their own, they are amazing on this pizza!
Ingredients – for the flat bread:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp Gay Lea spreadables
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Melt the butter and milk in microwave
- Add milk and butter to flour and salt folding into dough – This dough only needs a light knead.
- Plastic wrap and let set at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread a small amount of flour on your bench
- Unwrap dough and cut into two equal parts.
- Roll in a ball and roll out dough to about 1/8th inch thick.
- Preheat a large no stick skillet with oil on med/high heat.
- Cook for 1 1/2 min to 2 mins then flip. Bread should fluff a little while cooking. Cook until golden brown spotting.
- Remove from heat and cool for five mins.
Top with your favorites, we used: Finely sliced onions, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, and grated marble cheese.
Ingredients – for spread under toppings:
- 2 tbsp Gay Lea spreadables
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Instructions – for topping:
- Mix and spread on dough
- Add toppings and drizzle with a Gay Lea sour cream ranch sauce.
Ingredients – for sauce drizzle (white):
- 2 tablespoons Gay Lea sour cream
- 1/2 packet knorr ranch spice
It’s not like a traditional pizza so to me it’s perfect for this month’s feature. I remember a couple years ago going to a festival here in Toronto that had all kinds of foods from all over. The pizza’s always looked the best, but I was always too scared to try anything out of my comfort zone.
This is out of my comfort zone, but it was worth trying because its full of flavour and crunch.
Using Gay Lea products for the last 9 months has really taught me to try new things, explore new recipes, and step out of my comfort zone. I love using local products, so anytime I can cook and get things local I’m all for. The Gay Lea spreadables I had never tried before, but was the perfect addition to this dish. The sauce drizzle also had Gay Lea sour cream which gave it an extra flavour that really brought it to life.
If you are looking to expand on what your family is eating, and try something you may not usually try – then try this Mediterranean Flat Bread Pizza. It’s delicious, and rather easy to make!
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea, and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.