It’s winter time, and it’s been frigid where I live. I am constantly craving sweets lately since hitting 30 weeks, and I’ve been relying on sugar-free sweets that are heavy and has me wishing the weather was warmer so we could enjoy sweet, light treats again – like these delicious berry tarts!
I told my husband these aren’t a winter dessert, but as he said, there’s no such thing as a dessert for just winter or summer – truth. I enjoy sugar-free ice cream some nights for my nightly snack. So, why not make the family some delicious fruit tarts and at least get them excited for the warmer weather that will eventually come back.
For this recipe, we did use pre-made mini tart shells. You can make your own or use whatever kind of mini tart shells you’d like, but these flaky crusts make these tarts extra delicious!
- 2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
- One package tenderflake mini tart shells
- Six peach slices
- Two tbs honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- a touch of vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, heat mixed berries honey and brown sugar over medium-high heat.
- Whisk mixture frequently while bringing the mix to a gentle boil, turn down heat and simmer for 5-6 mins, to release the pectins.
- Once the mixture has started to thicken, remove from heat and let cool.
- Follow directions on package for baking the tart shells empty, let cool on a baking rack for 5-10 mins before filling with berries
- Fill berries as full as desired and add half a peach slice to the middle of the tart
- Once all your tarts are complete, put in the fridge to completely cool and the berry mixture should also set and become nice and firm.
- After a few hours, please do enjoy!
These tarts remind me so much of warmer weather I’m counting down the next six weeks, yes, six weeks! I have a lot to look forward to but delicious sweets are something I’m longing for, and once my pregnancy is over, I can’t wait to make more batches of these.
My kids finished these off pretty quickly and did enjoy them. So, that says a lot!
If you are like my family and enjoy eating fruity treats all year round these are the perfect light treat for you! I haven’t been able to eat fruit as much as I’d like with the natural sugar content in them it spikes my blood sugar, and so I can’t wait to be rid of gestational diabetes and eat SO MANY of these!