I have had 7 babies and with babies come gifts – often gifts that are given aren’t exactly practical. Sometimes, they are downright head-scratching type gifts and make you go, “hmm?” – Why would anyone get that for a new mom or new baby?
Well, as a mom of 7, I can tell you I’ve had my fair share of head-scratching gifts. Although I’m very thankful for any gift I’ve ever been given, I still can’t help but wonder why sometimes people give what they do! Can you believe that once I was given a book with a paint brush and paint the number book for baby when baby was just THREE days old! Now of course this is a wonderful gift, but for a three-day old? Not so much. I did put it away in hopes I could keep it up in a cupboard until baby was old enough but of course with moves, and life, it ended up going in the trash and I felt awful about it. I think practical gifts are much more beneficial, and will actually be used, like baby shoes by Bobux for example, special shoes that will be worn, and probably even kept forever.
I’m not one to be picky, but I do have experience with what new moms and new babies could use most when they get home from the hospital and during those first few weeks. I’m no expert, but I have some experience in this area.
When buying gifts for new moms and babies, it’s really important to focus on what they REALLY need. The first few weeks, while exciting and amazing, can also be stressful, tiresome and a lot for new moms and babies. So, gifting something they will actually use and need is more ideal than something they may throw in a drawer or cupboard, and not really use.
Five Things Moms and Babies Actually Really Need:
- Mom: Gift cards – Don’t really know what mom needs? Get her a gift card for takeout, for the grocery store or even the big box store down the road! From September 30 to October 31, 2016 spend $40 or more before tax on PlaytexBaby™ products (excluding all Playtex ® Diaper Genie ® products) at Babies “R” Us and you will receive a bonus $10 gift card to use on your next purchase.
- Baby: Bottles – Even if you aren’t sure if baby is nursing or being formula fed a bottle in a gift basket or gift bag is a great idea! It will come in handy at some point, and if mom is nursing – sometimes they don’t think about grabbing a bottle to have on hand just in case!
- Mom: Dinner – Have dinner delivered! Bring over a homemade meal or even some fresh veggies or a pot of soup! Believe me this is much needed and will really be appreciated.
- Baby: Diapers and Wipes – I noticed that I would be gifted a few packages of Newborn diapers. While they are amazing for the first three/four weeks for most babies, a lot of babies outgrow them! Parents can take the unopened packages of Newborn diapers to the closest big-box store to exchange, but it’s a pain to do with a new baby in tow. Try gifting size 1 diapers instead of newborn-sized as I’m sure they will have a few packs of newborn on hand already!
- Mom: Stroller – Check if mom has a good, sturdy stroller or if she’s planning to get one. If she doesn’t already have one, pick her up one! Stopping in for a visit and taking mom plus baby out for a little stroll up and down the street may do everyone some good, especially in the first weeks when venturing far from home isn’t something everyone wants to do right away!
PlaytexBaby™ can help provide the items that baby needs & Mom/Parents will find useful:
From September 30 to October 31, 2016 spend $40 or more before tax on PlaytexBaby™ products (excluding all Playtex ® Diaper Genie ® products) at Babies “R” Us and you will receive a bonus $10 gift card to use on your next purchase.
Add the bonus $10 gift card to your PlaytexBaby™ gift to increase value to the new parents or, keep the $10 gift card for yourself and grab something your own little one has been eyeing.
Offer valid in-store and online ~ If offer received online, you can use your online $10 on an in-store purchase.
Interesting Baby Gifting Facts:
- Almost half of gift givers (forty-two per cent) are unaware that they may actually be gifting something completely impractical.
- Just over six-in-10 Canadian moms consider gift cards to be useful gifts.
- Seventy per cent of Canadian moms think diapers are helpful gifts.
- Sixty-three per cent of Canadian moms will thank you for onesies, while fifty-seven per cent willhappily receive other baby clothes and baby toys or books.
- Just over half of Canadian moms will be grateful for bedding, blankets and swaddling blankets.
- Car seats and strollers also make the top cut for useful gifts coming in at forty-two per cent and forty per cent respectively.
From research conducted by TripleScoop Premium Market Research titled, “Baby Gifting – The Bizarre, the Useful and the Needed”.
Have you ever been given something you just really don’t think you can use, or that you have to tuck away for a while? It’s not as fun as something you could use right away, right? Although any gift should be accepted with excitement and a thankful attitude, I personally think giving gifts should be made less complicated.
PlaytexBaby™ can help with that! I’ve always been a huge fan of PlaytexBaby™ products and anytime I’ve given a new mom and baby a gift I always include a few goodies from Playtex. I used Playtex bottles for my first 3 babies exclusively, and often with #4! We found them to be very handy, and work really well for our little ones!
Take it from me – a mom of 7, don’t just give something to give a gift. Be sure to give something that will be useful, appreciated and not just thrown in a drawer or cupboard for weeks or months. Do your research for the best gifts possible, and be sure to ask mom or dad what they REALLY need and that they’ll ACTUALLY use. You may be surprised by their answers.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I was compensated in some form for my time and participation. However all opinions are mine and 100% true.