These days it seems that there is never enough time in the day. Barely enough time to prepare a healthy and hearty dinner for the family right? This One Sheet Whole Chicken Recipe is sure to be a family pleaser with its ease of preparation and set and forget kind of approach. With the kids, all growing and so many extra things they are getting into, keeping dinners quick and easy while healthy and hearty is always at the top of the list.
My husband calls this recipe the fridge cleaner as it certainly uses up the extra and on its way out produce nicely. For this recipe, we used onions, carrots, bell peppers and broccoli which seems to fill all the finicky eater’s plates as there is a little something healthy there for them all. This One Sheet Whole Chicken could certainly do with the potato addition as well but for this house, we love our sticky rice as a staple side.
This easily and quickly prepared meal will leave you with nothing but bones on the sheet and bellies full of joy for the family or any guests that you may have the pleasure of cooking this for. So let’s get this meal started.
One Sheet Whole Chicken Recipe
Things you’ll need:
- 1 whole chicken halved at the stomach only
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- 2 halves different colour bell peppers
- 1 broccoli crown
- 2 Carrots rough chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp sea salt and ground pepper to coat the chicken
- 2 tbsp butter (rub your bird and coat generously before salt and pepper)
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and / or peel your veggies and let air dry.
- Combine all veggies in a mixing bowl and mix your salt, pepper and garlic powder over the veggies.
- Place on a lined baking sheet making an even resting spot for the bird.
- Rinse your whole chicken under cold water for a minute or two and cut up the underside of the bird so that it is flat and connected by the back only.
- Rub your butter generously over the bird covering all of the skin.
- Make sure to season the entire chicken and place on top of veggies.
- Bake for 1 hour and take an internal temp. Cover loosely with foil.
- Continue to bake for 30 – 40 mins depending on your oven.
- Take from oven, pair with your favourite side and enjoy it!
In a world that is now as fast-paced as it is, we should never have to sacrifice healthy and hearty meals for ourselves and our families. The One Sheet Whole Chicken takes minutes to prepare and will satisfy the dinner void and help to alleviate any more stress in an already stressful world.
Looking for a delicious dessert, too?
Try our delicious S’MORES in a jar recipe – here.