Disclosure: This post is sponsored in partnership with Canadian Turkey. However, all opinions are mine and 100% true.
Spring is almost here and we are super excited about cooking with Canadian turkey. In the Spring there are many opportunities to cook for a crowd. Easter, Victoria Day, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are among those special days that Spring brings so I like to plan ahead and make plans for meals everyone can enjoy. We’ve been under a storm watch for the last few days and even though we now have more snow on the ground right now than all winter – I am preparing for Spring and all it brings which includes my meal plans.
Many Canadians are looking for creative ways to feed their family everyday meals that are tasty, nutritious and easy to prepare. And with spring arriving, it’s time to start thinking about creating festive meals for occasions like March Break, Easter and Mother’s Day! Canadian Turkey makes it easy for you with recipe options that can feed any number of people, from a family of four up to a big crowd – like my family! This spring I am really looking forward to cooking with Canadian turkey to make delicious, healthy and hearty meals for my big family!
One meal I am really looking forward to enjoying with my family is this oven baked Turkey Eggplant Parmesan. We have a very large family so this recipe is perfect for any night we feel like a good wholesome meal! Have you ever had eggplant and turkey together? What about with parmesan cheese? Chances are you haven’t tried all of them together but you must! The flavors together are a treat for the taste buds!
Oven Baked Turkey Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins.
Cook time: 35 mins.
- 2 lbs Canadian turkey scallopini
- 2 small eggplants
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 jar tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Slice the eggplant into medium-thick (1 cm) slices.
- Lightly salt both sides of the eggplant and place on a paper towel to absorb moisture. Let sit for 15 minutes per side.
- To make tomato sauce, heat olive oil and onions in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté until onions are lightly browned, 6 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and sugar, and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season scallopini with salt and pepper.
- Dip scallopini in flour, then egg and finally Panko.
- Repeat with eggplant.
- Broil both scallopini and eggplant on the middle rack of the oven until cooked and browned, 5-8 minutes per side. (time will vary depending on your oven)
- Layer in an ovenproof dish. Start with some tomato sauce, then follow with eggplant, tomato sauce, turkey, tomato sauce again, then finally eggplant. Sprinkle each layer lightly with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool slightly and serve.
TIP – Here’s a money saving tip: You can easily make your own scallopini by buying a whole turkey breast and thinly slicing and pounding the meat flat.
Turkey is a light and lean source of protein that’s packed with vitamins and minerals, making it a healthy choice for your family. It’s easy to prepare and very versatile with a variety of cuts available at your local grocer or butcher.
The spring season is often filled with family gatherings where you need to be prepared to feed a crowd. Easter, Victoria Day, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day are those special occasions where you want your meal to shine. With so many celebrations around the corner, it takes some planning to make family dinners extra special, not to mention easy, manageable and economical, too. Canadian Turkey can help you find the right solutions to help you create that show-stopping meal, whether you’re feeding a big group for a large family dinner, or just making a simple lunch or brunch.
A whole Canadian turkey can easily feed a crowd and impress your guests. Easy to plan and prepare, turkey goes well with almost any flavour profile, making it a great choice for any of your favourite seasonings or spice blends. Just season generously and let your oven do the rest of the work. Add a few simple side dishes and you’re done! Cooking with turkey is also a very economical way to keep your party costs down while creating a satisfying and memorable meal for all.
Canadian turkey parts are another great option. Look for turkey thighs, drumsticks and turkey breasts at your local grocer or butcher. You can roast a selection of these parts in the oven and then carve them up for a beautiful and impressive presentation in about half the time of a whole turkey. Parts also provide you with the flexibility to include more of the dark meat or white meat that your family and friends love. No one has to know how easy or economical it is to pull together a fantastic meal!
Looking for additional tips, recipes and HOW TOs? Visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration!
The kind folks at Canadian Turkey are offering up the chance to win a $75 Visa Gift card to 1 (one) lucky reader!