Are you looking for a delicious and easy side dish? These Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes are a perfect choice! Even the kids love them!
In most places, spring is in full swing but here where we live it’s still been really cold and we’ve been craving hearty, comfortable meals around here! These slow cooker sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish. Sweet potatoes aren’t my cup of tea but others in the house love them so they’ve become quite the staple around here.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They also promote gut health: The fiber and antioxidants in sweet potatoes are advantageous to gut health.
Sweet potatoes contain potassium. A high potassium intake may not be suitable for people who take beta-blockers.
- 6 to 7 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped walnuts and parsley for garnish
- Place potatoes in a 6qt slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch and toss until coated.
- Cube butter and place around the potatoes.
- Sprinkle it with brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cayenne.
- Pour in vanilla extract, orange juice, and water.
- Sprinkle with salt and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring once or twice during cook time.
- Place in serving dishes and sprinkle with walnuts and parsley.
Looking for what may pair well with sweet potatoes:
- lime, onions, carrot, salt, thyme, walnuts, oranges, pineapple, apples, pecans, maple sugar, and rich meats such as pork, duck, ham, and poultry.
Sweet potatoes are also great with any kind of pork! Put these on the side of a grilled pork chop, and you’ll find yourself heading back for more!
Like this recipe? Check out some of our other popular recipes: Easy Chicken Parm Bites, One Sheet Whole Chicken Recipe, and Homemade Sweet and Sour Chinese Chicken Balls.