I’ve been talking a lot about losing weight, starting to eat better, and living a healthier lifestyle. I even used a weight loss simulator to see what my body will look like if I lost weight – it really helped give me the motivation to start the journey. So, a few weeks ago I gave myself a date of March 1st to start to change everything around for the better. I’ve had 8 children. I had gestational diabetes diagnosed twice, and once undiagnosed. My body has been through heck and back. It’s time I start treating it like it deserves to be treated and it’s time I start to feel my best, for myself and for my children.
Today, I started the 21 Day Fix. It’s no joke let me just say, I feel empowered and the energy I feel is amazing. But, it’s hard. For someone who is used to sitting at a desk most the day, or playing with babies getting my body to do any type of work out is a challenge but this? Is the next level. It’s amazing.
A friend of mine is going on this journey with me which makes me feel like I’m not alone. Even if I’m struggling, I can tell her and she would root me on and vice versa. It’s something I think everyone should have if they are looking to change their lifestyle and get fit, especially in this drastic way as it is for me.
I’m the type of person who needs to be held accountable for what they eat and any exercise they are doing, so having a partner who is also doing what I am doing does that for me. I need someone by my side who will motivate me into getting fit. If that person is there just to tell me to do a tricep routine for better results or to have a simple snack before or after my workout, then that’s what I need in order to get me on a good path. If I workout by myself, I feel I am more likely to give up, as I can make little excuses to stop. That’s not what I need, as I will feel like I will be back at square one. I want us to succeed together, and although we are apart by the distance it’s amazing the motivation I feel knowing she is working out and doing exactly what I am doing and I need to do this.
What is 21 Day Fix?
21 day fix is a weight loss program by Beachbody. It’s an easy to follow work out and portion-controlled meal program that includes portion-controlled colored containers. On 21 day fix there is no counting carbs or calories. The 21 Day Fix is a weight loss and fitness program that promises to melt up to 15 pounds (7 kg) in just three weeks.
The Work Outs:
- Total Body Cardio Fix: A full-body cardiovascular workout with weights to increase heart rate and burn calories.
- Upper Fix: Resistance training for the upper body (the chest, the back, shoulders, arms, and yes abs).
- Lower Fix: This workout is designed to firm and tone your entire lower body while you blast fat and burn calories.
- Cardio Fix: Cardiovascular workout without weights.
- Pilates Fix: Pilates-based workout that aims to strengthen the abdominals and firm the thighs.
- Yoga Fix: A restorative yoga-based workout used to improve flexibility and balance.
Although you don’t count calories you do have to calculate your calorie needs. Because I’m breastfeeding I’ve had to add an extra 500 to my plan but here is how it essentially goes:
- Multiply your current weight in pounds by 11. (basal metabolic rate or BMR).
- Add 400 (workout calorie burn) to your calorie baseline.
- Subtract 750 (the calorie deficit) from your calorie needs. This number is the calorie target you should eat to lose weight.
The containers are of a different size and color. They are also labeled to help you figure out what you need for your meals:
- Yellow (1/2 cup) – Carbs
- Green (one cup) – Vegetables
- Purple (one cup) – Fruits
- Red (3/4 cup) – Proteins
- Blue (1/3 cup) – Healthy fats
- Orange (two tablespoons) – Seeds and dressings
I got different containers off amazon, these ones, they are different color-wise but are essentially the same thing, just cheaper and I got them fast with prime!
So this is what I am starting today, and this morning I did my first work-out. It was a challenge. I ended up not being able to fully complete the last 8 minutes and instead jumped on the treadmill so at least I was moving those last 8 minutes. Tomorrow is a new day and a new work out and I will be jumping right back into it.
If you know me you know I do not do well with food. It’s always been a struggle for me as I don’t like very many (ok, any) vegetables so this will not only push me to eat better it will also get me eating things I otherwise have sworn off for 33 years of life. I’m ready, my body is ready, it’s time – so here we go!
If you’d like to follow along with me I plan to write a few posts here and there but will be more active daily on my Instagram I made just for this purpose. You can follow me, here.