Today, we are going to be talking about everything turkey. I think that turkey is the most underrated meat and deserves way more love than it gets. I mean what’s Thanksgiving without turkey? In a lot of cases, I prefer turkey over chicken, I prefer to order teriyaki turkey jerky online rather than beef jerky, turkey is one of the healthiest meats, the list goes on!
When summer rolls around I generally get excited, but not really for the smouldering heat – I get more excited for the foods. Summertime is the best time for different foods, and sharing them with friends and family. When I think of summer I often think of salads.
But when people think of salads the last thing on their mind is turkey right? Most people associate turkey with the holidays, or special occasions. Not me, turkey is one of those things I love to eat any chance I get. It’s tasty, hearty and you can put turkey in so many different things and make a good delicious, and not traditional holiday meal at all: salad included!
Have you ever tried putting turkey in a salad? Believe me – it’s delicious!
Turkey Nicoise Salad with Sundried Tomato Dressing
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
½ head radicchio
½ cup of corn (fresh or frozen)
½ lb green beans
12 mini potatoes
12 sundried olives
12 cherry tomatoes
1.5 lb package of turkey scallopini or 1 small turkey breast, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to season
2 tbsps salt
• Scrub potatoes. Take ½ the salt and add to a pot of boiling water. Boil for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and cool.
• While potatoes are cooking, prepare and cook turkey breast. Season turkey pieces with salt and pepper.
• Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Lower heat to medium. Cook turkey breast slices until cooked through, 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
• Trim green beans. Take ½ the salt and add to a pot of boiling water. Boil beans until tender but still crisp, 5-7 minutes.
• Cook corn until tender.
• Cut potatoes in half.
• Shred radicchio.
• Wash and cut cherry tomatoes.
• Remove pits from olives and rip into pieces.
• Assemble salad. Sprinkle radicchio on the bottom of a large serving plate. Top with potatoes and green beans. Layer over tomatoes. Sprinkle with olives and corn. Finish with a healthy drizzle of dressing, making sure to coat all vegetables.
• Serve immediately.
Sundried Tomato Dressing:
5 sundried tomatoes
1 clove garlic
3 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
½ bunch of parsley
1 tbsp honey
½ cup pumpkin seeds
salt and pepper to season
• Blend all items.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
See the recipe in action, this is video below!
To celebrate the new logo and website for Canadian Turkey Six Time Mommy has and Canadian Turkey are offering this wonderful giveaway to ONE (1) Canadian Reader! How would you like to win a $75 Prepaid Visa to get you and your family some groceries? Don’t forget the delicious turkey to make so many amazing recipes with!
Summer is here and we are super excited about cooking with Canadian turkey. Summer is the perfect season to cook, eat, and grill our favorite bird. It’s a light and lean source of protein, perfect for those hot summer days. It’s packed with vitamins and essential nutrients, making it a healthy choice for your family, and it’s easy to prepare with a variety of cuts available. Turkey is fantastic on the grill, and you can find ground meat, burgers, and sausages at your local grocery store. It’s a great everyday choice and we’d love to see it on Canadian tables for regular weeknight meals!
Why not try Canadian turkey today? It’s a great option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The many different cuts to choose from make it easy to change up your meals. It’s versatile and easy to prepare – just substitute for the meat protein in your favourite recipe. Remember – switch, swap, substitute! Turkey is the perfect option.
Ask for Canadian raised Turkey next time you’re grocery shopping so you know you’re putting Canadian quality on your table – from our farmers’ families to yours!
The program hashtag is #FreshIdea, in keeping with the new brand tagline: “Turkey – It’s A Fresh Idea.”
Connect with Canadian Turkey:
Visit CanadianTurkey.ca for more delicious recipes and fresh recipes!